Who ever created the word no shall die!

I find Lady Catherine De Bourgh a very interesting character indeed.  The fact of the matter is that she is very arrogant, she does have a large sense of pride, but she is very interested in the well being of others.  She does not care if it is the well-being of “inferior” people, she even seems to enjoy helping them more, and she does get even a bigger ego when she learns that people are indebted to her for helping them.  I find her a very interesting character, maybe a new character to ponder more about.  I gave up on Caroline a long time ago, after she forced Charles to leave Jane and never to return to Netherfield.  I find that there are interesting moments in Lady Catherine’s countenance where she does act very kindly, but it’s as if she reminds herself that she’s above those that surround her.  I feel that she’s lonely in Ramsgate, a huge castle, where she hopes to find others to be her companions.  There’s only so much one can do when they are lonely.

We meet Colonel Fitzwilliam, Mr. Darcy’s cousin, a young man who went into the army because he’s not the eldest son, which means he cannot inherit his father’s estate.  Lizzie describes him as a handsome, amiable, young man who she cannot believe is related to Mr. Darcy.  What I find very interesting is that at moments she seems to almost hope that Fitzwilliam shows her some affection or favor, but at others she does not.  Fitzwilliam knows that for him, the only true way to get money is to marry a rich woman with a huge dowry.  I find it quite hilarious that when you take Fitzwilliam to Wickham you get two men who are really after the same thing, yet totally different because one follows first his morals, Fitzwilliam, while Wickham flouts morals.

So, then finally we get to the point where I felt like I was going to feint, I don’t know how Lizzie kept so cool!?  Anyways, I’ll give the shortened version because if I didn’t I would go on forever, and then my carpal tunnel would kill me!  SO, Mr. Darcy proposes, insults Lizzie by naming the connections she holds, which disgust him because of her family’s disregard for propriety, which in turn disgusts Lizzie because of Mr. Darcy’s callousness.  I find it a never-ending cycle of one person offending another.

This is where we fall to the fact that I wish that the world never invented the word “No!” Or even the concept of it’s definition.  I find it quite annoying, because I thought that Mr. Darcy and Lizzie were supposed to be it for each other, but no.  There’s Mr. Wickham clouding Lizzie’s judgment.

But that isn’t true for long because of Darcy’s letter.  I’m shocked. Appalled.  Shell-shocked.  Unexpectedly appalled.  Wouldn’t you be?  Mr. Wickham is the evil one, it all fits.  His character towards Lizzie and switching to Miss King, him missing Netherfield ball.  I find that his most disturbing occurrence is that he tried to take advantage of Miss Darcy, who I feel for terribly.  To be deceived in “love” at only 15 must be disastrous.  Lizzie is such an idiot!  She’s so prideful, so willful, so ignorant, so gullible.  Even she herself says it best, that she, who prided herself on reading people, had been deceived so clearly and yet so tactfully, blinded by her “hate” of Mr. Darcy that she let go of a chance to increase her standings.  Maybe if she allowed herself it, happiness, too.

WELL, Lizzie does think that she’ll be alone now.  Afterall, she refused both Mr. Collins and Mr. Darcy; one, a foolish man, the other a respectable man who she doesn’t deserve, who is way out of her league.  She’ll be left alone as an old maid.