Mrs. Gardiner, Voice of Reason?

As I read from the beginning, I get the sense that Lizzie is very sensible, she’s very carefree yet pessimistic, she’s smart yet ignorant in certain matters, in simplest terms she’s a walking, breathing, Victorian contradiction.  I find myself liking her at some moments, for her independence, for her self-assurance, for her tenacity, but there are other times where I’m annoyed by her, of her quarrelsome attitude, for her pessimistic thoughts, but most of all for the easy way in which she jumps to conclusions.  She’s a dynamic character because it seems as if there are moments where you don’t really know what it is she is going to do next.

Mrs. Gardiner, Lizzie’s aunt seems to be Lizzie’s conscience, reminding Lizzie that a man like Wickham, due to his state of living, does not deserve her.  I find that although Lizzie at first agrees blindingly to Mrs. Gardiner’s advice to separate herself from Wickham’s devotions, Lizzie ends up thinking things over and agrees with her aunt.  But the most important thing to remember is that it is Lizzie’s aunt that brings up this point, not Lizzie coming to this conclusion all on her own.

At a different point in the story, some ten/twenty pages later, we find ourselves receiving a letter from Jane.  It seems that Jane has finally realized that Caroline is not a nice person, nor is she genuine in her regard towards Jane.  Maybe at first Caroline liked Jane, but the connections that Jane holds does not overshadow Jane’s good nature.  It’s quite disgusting how the “rich and superior” act towards their inferiors.  I find myself feeling for Jane, hoping for her happiness, even more than for Lizzie’s.  I find myself quite self-assured that if it ends with Lizzie as an old, unmarried lady, she’ll still be very happy.  But Jane seems to hope for love, she seems to look forward to being in love, and she does deserve someone to love her.

It was a big “Hallelujah!” moment when Jane finally admitted the disguised coldness of Caroline’s character.  I don’t seem to like Caroline that much anymore.  She’s very much cruel, mean, and only interested in money.  I believe that somehow with all the money they already have in the family, she could be more that happy than others, but nooooo!!!!!!!!!! That’s not possible.  The rich always want to be rich, and rich want the poor to be even poorer.

Mrs. Gardiner once again points out something to both Lizzie and myself, that it is interesting that Mr. Wickham dissolves of showing his affections to Lizzie because of Miss King’s inheritance.  Of course I will say that most are interested in money, and although I am giving Wickham some room because of his “handsomeness and amiable attitude,” I will say that men who are interested in money are not interested in love.  Thank God Lizzie does admit to seeing her aunt’s point because if she said that it’s alright and normal, that she still likes him, I would knock some sense into her!  Wickham seems to be good as a friend, but to get married?  No Lizzie!  Mr. Darcy is the one for you!

I find it interesting that Lizzie describes both Sir William and Maria Lucas as simple-minded people.  It’s Charlotte’s father and little sister, I’m surprised by this fact because Charlotte is not an idiot.  Although Lizzie would say that Charlotte is crazy because she purposely wished to get married to Mr. Collins, I will say that she’s actually smart.  Charlotte wished to be the happiest she could possibly be within the confines made for her as a woman and as a woman at the age of 27.  Charlotte’s decision was done wisely.  Lizzie’s decisions are done ignorantly.