Fatal Flaws Interesting? Or Cliched?

Interestingly enough, although I find much of the dialog so far to be tedious and slightly without much of a fluidity, my favorite scene so far is about pride.  Big surprise, I know, but I did enjoy that interesting, though-provoking conversation.  I read once that Jane Austen originally called this novel First Impressions.  I believe it would have been an excellent title, even from the very beginning we receive so much information, and like Elizabeth and Darcy, we have our own first impressions.  I have already begun to encounter both the aspects of pride and prejudice in the novel, but i believe it’s only the beginning.  Afterall, Austen did name it for this reason-at least I hope so.

The lines that really caught my eye are about Darcy and Lizzie talking about their fatal flaws.

“Certainly,”replied Elizabeth-“there are such people, but I hope I am not one of them.  I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good.  Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.  But these, I suppose, are precisely what you are without.”

“Perhaps that is not possible for any one.  But it has been the study of my life to avoid those weaknesses which often expose a strong understanding to ridicule.”

“Such as vanity and pride.”

“Yes, vanity is a weakness indeed.  But pride-where there is a real superiority of mind, pride will be always under good regulation.”

I wondered as I was reading this, is this really something someone would say in the old times?  While I did love this dialog, and the thought provoking themes, I am left wondering how the rest of the story is going to go.  Is it going to be full of unreal scenes?  Is it going to seem to fantasy like?  It’s interesting because I love these lines, and yet I’m unsure if I like them here.

But I did think that these lines were perfect for this story and especially for this part of the story:

“There is, I believe, in every disposition a tendency to some particular evil, a natural defect, which not even the best education can overcome.”

“And your defect is a propensity to hate every body.”

“And yours,” he replied with a smile,”is wilfully to misunderstand them.”

It is interesting that they both admit to their faults, and they point out each others but they do not accept them–at least they haven’t so far.  It’s ironic, these few lines because I see it as foreshadowing the rest of the story.  If I’m wrong, well then the title should be changed back to First Impressions.

The whole conversation did make me ask myself:

Does Mr. Darcy think of himself as a person close to perfection?

Why does Elizabeth so unnervingly fight with Mr. Darcy?  Yes, he hurt her with his comment, but Lizzie!  Grow up!  And Caroline’s action to gain the attention of Darcy was so STUPID!  She asked Elizabeth to walk with her!  Caroline, he won’t look at you!  He’ll only be looking at Elizabeth!  Is it weird that I’m hoping for Caroline to grow up into a better person, a better character, and get a happy ending?

In Chapter 12, I find it odd that Mr. Darcy has to force himself to remember that he must be away from Elizabeth because he must not get too close to her.  It’s truly nice to see that line repeated as of late.  But while on the other side of the coin, Elizabeth has declared that she hates Darcy.  It’s annoying, and yet intriguing.

I do wonder, will Mr. Darcy actually end up truly wanting Elizabeth, will Elizabeth let go of her hatred, or will Caroline grow up a bit?

Until next time, where their pride allows it, I shall be writing.